Test Your Audio & Video
Visit https://zoom.us/test to join a test meeting, then follow the instructions to test your video or audio.
What you need:
- webcam / camera on your device
- headset (or speakers and microphone - avoid echo and stay muted)
- If you are a presenter, also test the Share Screen option
- reliable internet connection (bandwidth requirements)
Video helps keep virtual sessions personal. With video enabled, presenters can respond to verbal cues, body language, face-to-face communication, and other factors to make them feel that they are right there in the room with you.
In a Virtual Session (Zoom Meeting), you can see other participants' videos and they see yours - just like you see other session attendees in a physical room. The host may ask you to unmute your microphone to ask a question. Ensure to keep your microphone muted if you are not talking.
A Webinar on the other hand is a one way broadcast - you would listen to the live speakers without seeing the attendee list. A webcam is not necessary for a Webinar.
Virtual Session Toolbar
From the bottom toolbar, you generally can:
- Join audio and after joining, mute/unmute your microphone
- Start/stop your webcam video
- See a list of participants
- Share screen - this option is available for speakers (hosts and co-hosts)
- Chat with the group or single participants
- Depending on how you accessed the meeting, MORE may give you the option to control Meeting Settings, set a Virtual Background, or Raise your Hand. See also: meeting controls for attendees versus meeting controls for hosts.
- Leave Meeting
As a general tip, we recommend closing all other applications on your device not needed for the virtual session.
Review the system requirements here.
I can't hear the speakers/participants?
Is a speaker or headset connected to your computer?
Others can't hear me?
Check if your microphone is connected and still on mute. Unmute before speaking.
Why do others hear an echo when I talk?
Someone has their speaker and microphone causing an echo. Please ask all participants to mute themselves or ask the host to mute all participants.
I hear an echo when others are talking?
There is nothing you can do other than asking for the speakers to use a headset, adjust their microphone sensitivity, and all other attendees to mute their microphones. Learn more about solving echo issues with Zoom.
The other participants can't see me - my video is not showing?
Ensure that the correct camera is selected and that you have chosen to "Start Video" from the toolbar. If the problem persists, please refer to My Video/Camera isn't working for solutions.
Where To Get More Help
If you have any trouble using Zoom or technical issues with your hardware, please visit https://support.zoom.us/home
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article